Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's So Sweet to Be Needed...

The day before I left for a long anticipated trip to Kauai, the kitchen sink started leaking.  DH tko ultimately, but I had to stand there like a surgical nurse with tools and handling all the accumulated bottles of whatever..., and felt like a turd for leaving in such a crises.  So I  mopped up with the authority and dedication of a hazmat team after disposing of most of it.  When I called home to say I arrived safely, I received the news that our internet was down.  I tried to talk dh through resetting the modem, even gave him our isp info so he could handle it, but I think he preferred to just ignore the problem and eat hamburgers or buffets with his pals for a number of days.  Me?  I was eating fresh ahi, and making fresh salsa's with mangoes and papayas as often as I could and well,  having the time of my life. And I stopped calling home.  I bought ahi at the local markets and this picture was taken from the grounds of our condo ....
I have simple tastes, a simple camera, and get too involved in my experiences to be a reliable historian.  I do think I could have fed this bird by hand if I had the appropriate morsel, the sparrows across the way were devouring a bit of hand made sugar cone with drips  of mango gelato (pog) from my hand....
My alarm clock...
The cocka-doodlest rooster that you ever met..2am and he was ready to roar.  I sent a small pile of fresh bean sprouts over the lanai thinking I was feeding my wild friends some healthy food.  The birds wouldn't touch the sprouts much to my dismay and embarassment, but finally the sun faded them into nothing.  The sprouts I mean.   Chickens are wild and rampant all over the island.  But not apparently too hungry.  I saw a couple of chicks I would have loved to stash and take home with me at Spouting Horn though.  No chance.

 As am bonafide member of the Jaws generation, I've been duly afraid to bathe since the 70's or thereabouts.  I got pretty wild on the beach though, or rather, the beach got wild with me.  The surf knocked the tar out of me and then some.  Sand enema. 

Yes, there is a beached whale (meaning moi) somewhere in there with the boogie board.  Shameful.  I did see, the day before I left, a whale, a biological specimen, jump far into the air....at least 4 times in the same spot within the same hour.  It was one of the highlights of my adventure.


If you look closely, you will find a pair of doves getting lovey-dovey....they both walked across my toes in their dance, another astonishing event for me.  I was not in the wild country looking to meet up with boars or giant spiders though one hairy arachnid did manage to crawl sleepily out of my luggage when I was unpacking, how does that happen I ask you?  I roll my clothes????!....  I did eat the best seared ahi taco with drippy wasabi something or other, and had several days of positive goodness, and lit my eyes on pure magnificence.  Fabulous time, much to remember, even though I came back to piles of mail, a blown sewer pipe, freezing cold, a man and family/pets starved for affection...by golly....there's no place like home.  Aloha...and

Mahalo!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to have you home, but wow! Seriously beautiful scenery!
    And that ocean!
    So you're all tanned and refreshed, ready to create again?
    And did you find any beach treasures to work into your jewelry?

    I would have loved to have seen a photo of your furry spider luggage-buddy!
    How fast and how flat did he get smashed?

    ReplyDelete